Strawberries have always been a favorite food of mine. Perhaps it’s because my maiden name in Polish translates to “strawberry” or perhaps its because they are just so juicy, sweet and delicious. When I growing up eating out was only for special occasions. The most special of occasions were always celebrated at my parents’ favorite Baltimore restaurant, Haussner’s. It didn’t really matter what we had for dinner or dessert, we always knew that a fresh strawberry pie would be placed in a bakery box for us to take home!
Since we all loved the pie and since we didn’t get there often my mother decided to recreate it. It should go without saying that you want to use the freshest, sweetest strawberries you can get – they are after all the star. If you want you can strain the strawberries after blending them but I don’t – perhaps if I were entering it in a competition I would but since it’s just us and no one here will care that the glaze isn’t crystal clear I don’t bother!
Her fresh strawberry pie is now a favorite of my family too and it’s always a big hit at “Pi Day” at school! Whipped cream adds the finishing touch!
- 4 cups strawberries, washed and hulled (2 16-oz. containers will be just a bit over)
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 8" or 9" baked pie shell
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Slice up 2 cups of strawberries. Place in a pan with the cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and stir constantly until it is clear. (It will go from a pink to deep red color.) Add lemon juice and blend well.
- Place in a blender and blend just until smooth. (Sieve if desired.)
- Spread the cream cheese in the bottom of the pie shell.
- Pour about half the glaze over the cream cheese.
- Place the strawberries, hulled side down, in the bottom of the pie crust. It will look best if you can find strawberries that are about the same size; but if you have really large berries you may need some smaller ones to fill in the gaps.
- Pour/spread the remaining glaze over the berries. Refrigerate.
- Top with whipped cream just before serving!